Saturday, May 05, 2007

You couldn't Make it up (No. 67a in a series of 134)

Blankpaige is getting worried about the amount of political stuff has begun to appear on this blog. This is worrying for so many reasons. I find myself posting longer and longer comments on other people's blog sites. The following is an example posted at Damien Mulley's site which regular readers of the blankpaige know is the vitamin C in my blog diet.



Damo links the Youtube of Vincent Browne's schoolmaster to Bertie Ahern's errand schoolboy.



My comment on this (slightly modified to be more readable or at least less incomprehensible)....



This money wasn’t in Bertie’s account ‘cos he didn’t have a bank account. It was simply resting in his office safe. And he just happened to be sleeping in his office on a blowup bed next to the safe on account of his marriage breakup which was going through a messy divorce which was why he didn’t want to have a bank account which would have allowed Miriam’s lawyers to go after his money, which would have cleaned him out, which would have left him severely financially compromised on account of the fact that he had a high maintenance girlfriend to bankroll on account of her expensive taste in house renovations, which was why he got her to take the cash in the first place because he couldn’t be seen to take money 'cos he was Minister for Finance.


Here we had a Minister for Finance who took his custodianship of public funds so seriously that he slept on a blowup bed next to a safe containing public funds. Now you can’t get much more committed that that, can you?

Paige

7 Comments:

Blogger Damien Mulley said...

The comment sounded like it came from Yes, Minister. Certainly worthy of something a civil servant would say. Mr Day can let us know how it rates on the civilservitant scale.

11:15 a.m., May 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paige, don't get too worried - come and join the fun on Irishelection.com and get an account there! At the moment we are in the unbelievable and nearly unprecedentded and definitely bizarre!

4:55 p.m., May 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oo missus - quoted in the Irish times today no less..shame there's no hyperlink on the article tho

2:08 a.m., May 08, 2007  
Blogger Steven said...

Makes perfect sense to me...

Excuse me while I go and polish my photograph of Sir Humphrey Appleby

Toodles

10:28 p.m., May 08, 2007  
Blogger Omaniblog said...

Paige,
I'm a bit late reading your amusing image of the man on the blow-up bed.
One thing I wonder about: how come it's OK for a man to try to conceal his assets from his wife during a divorce? What sort of example is this to others? Isn't that behaviour reprehensible because of the moral role politicians assume when they run for office?
When my first wife and I were divorcing, I regarded it as an ethical imperative to disclose all my assets to her, so that she could have her fair share, so that we could agree something that neither of us would regret later, so that there would be nothing to distract our children for regarding us both as decent, honest people. Am I missing something: I've got the impression that there is public acceptance of behaviour aimed at preventing open examination by her of how much money he really had. And if his girlfriend took advantage of this behaviour, where does that leave her ethically? Surely this raises a few questions about Bertie's fitness to govern education and health, if there is any reliable truth in the above musings.

12:06 a.m., May 09, 2007  
Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

I'm probably showing my age here but what was 'Yes, Minister'?

Maman poulet - I've an account and I might just use it!

that girl - I'm going to start a whole period of concerted affirmations. I can't believe that after my throw away remark about IT, that I'd appear in print so soon.

Omani, again you make me hang my head in shame at my casual, cheap side swipe. It's not okay to conceal some of your money in the event of a divorce proceedings but by the same token, it is not okay for the state to keep punishing fathers forever for the same mistake. I'm watching a good friend loose everything he has worked for and face the prospect of working forever to maintain his Ex in a life she has become quickly accustomed to, whilst knowing that he'll never have a proper relationship with his children. I'll blog on this when I'm more reflective.

9:12 a.m., May 09, 2007  
Blogger Omaniblog said...

What! Geezes, that sounds terrible. I often feel people exaggerate in search of sympathy but the case you refer to sounds beyond words to me.

But, I refuse to believe that any man faces the prospect of never having a proper relationship with his children. No woman, no matter how awful she is, can deprive a man of the prospect of a proper relationship with his children. A man can deprive himself of such a relationship. He can blame a woman if he likes, but I'd take some convincing that he wasn't special pleading. Of course, I accept that he might have to wait a while to have that relationship, might even have to wait some years but children grow into adults, children grow apart from the influence of their parents. Thank goodness. We all grow up, well almost all of us grow up a bit. Peter Pan.

ps sorry, I got excited. I've been striving for calm. I better go lie down over a pint.

As you can see, you have one man gagging for your post about this.

12:46 p.m., May 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home