Wednesday, April 18, 2007

You pays peanuts, you gets monkeys!


Question of the Day : How many Mickey Mouse ties would one Medical Consultant's salary buy you?

It seems you can buy a really nice Mickey Mouse neck tie for Euro20.50. So by my calculation, you could buy 10,000 such ties from one consultant's annual salary (and another 2,000 out of the annual bonus).

12,000 Mickey Mouse ties could be given to the 2,000 proposed new consultants so that they'd each have 6 ties. One for every day of the week that they work and four for the weekends.

(Of course, I realise that we might get a discount for buying in bulk - the ties, I mean, not the consultants!).

Where do these consultant guys get off? They are perhaps the most odious profession known to man. They invented the highly offensive phrase "bed blockers" (patients deliberately not discharged on a Thursday so that the bed will be available for the consultant to admit another private patient on Monday when he is next in work). Now "Yellow pack Doctors".

600 points and no personality obviously counts for something, but could they not at least take a leaf from their nursing colleagues. You want more money for less working hours. So when you go on a PR exercise, talk about "pay anomalies", "career prospects", "patient advocacy". Anything but highlight how five times the average industrial wage is such a pittance!

Paige
(The astute blankpaige watchers will immediately realise that I still haven't gotten over that disastrous date with a doc!)


4 Comments:

Blogger Omaniblog said...

Greetings Paige,

I was going to comment but I was afraid I might raise my blood pressure. Given the shortage of hospital consultants, that was a risk too far.

11:06 p.m., April 23, 2007  
Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

greetings Omani , good to hear from you.

Yes, it is a good idea to keep blood pressure in check what with the latest chaos in the health service.
I can't imagine how Ms Harney feels.

12:02 a.m., April 24, 2007  
Blogger Omaniblog said...

Ms Harney has been looking under the weather for ages now. Every time I look at her I see an unhappy person. I'm told she used to be impressive.

11:06 p.m., April 25, 2007  
Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

Some of us think she's still very impressive but I agree she doesn't look the best.

10:10 p.m., April 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home