Wednesday, April 25, 2007

It's good to talk

The consistently excellent Sarah Carey (Gubu) has posted a reasoned post on the recent Wexford tragedy. Her well thought-out observations are, for the most part, spot on.

Her post has attracted many comments which, predictably, focus on pointing the finger. In my opinion, it is far too easy to blame the Gardai or HSE for failing to act to prevent the multiple killings. In fact, we are really much more comfortable blaming a face-less organisation (preferably with a three letter acronym) than we are at individuals.

The commentors seem to focus on timelines and order of events which is all pretty futile since these are after the event. It is well known that the best airlines in the world avoid accidents because the promote reporting of near misses and establish a culture that seeks to understand and eliminate rather than blame and castigate.

What seems particularly disturbing - apart from the killings of course - is how so bloody sure everyone is that it is someone else's fault. I would contend that we as a society must take responsibility. Calling for public inquiries might help salve our conscience - but we know from bitter experience that they don't stop such events happening. Can we have a rational, objective discussion that doesn't blame someone but rather focuses on understanding why this happened and what could we do to reduce the incidents from happening again?

As a starter for ten, I'd suggest we need to stop being seduced into voting for political parties because they offer tax cuts. Our politicians need to be guided into understanding that its okay to suggest increased taxing and spending if it provides decent and essential public services.

I'd suggest you pop across to Sarah's post and add your opinions. The first step in making a change is to have a meaningful debate. But if you find yourself compelled to liken all priests to Father Dougal or all Gardai to heartless yokels, then might I suggest that you've other issues that you might want to work out for yourself first.

Paige

6 Comments:

Blogger Fence said...

In one way I totally agree with you that this is society's problem, and pointing the finger at any one organisation will not help. However, the fact remains that there is no real help available in these situations over the weekend. This is a ridiculous situation.

As for the family's tragedy, is it really possible to blame anyone apart from the husband and wife who killed themselves and their children? I don't want to vilify them, but they are the ones who killed their children and themselves.

I'm constantly amazed that people seem to want lower and lower taxes, and then can't believe that services aren't running smoothly. Lets face it if you want lower taxes then you have to realise that this comes with a cost. Personally I'm all for higher taxes if it would improve the Health Service.

10:51 a.m., April 25, 2007  
Blogger Omaniblog said...

Thank you Paige. I've just lost the comment I wrote to your welcome piece. I'll go to Sarah's blog this evening and do my best to contribute. Certainly it'll help me to write something about this awful tragedy.

5:33 p.m., April 25, 2007  
Blogger Omaniblog said...

Well, thank you Paige. Without your encouragement I would not have found Sarah's blog on this. I haven't yet gone there, but I shall.
Although I doubt what I have to say will help anyone more than it'll help me to address this awful tragedy.

5:34 p.m., April 25, 2007  
Blogger Omaniblog said...

I meant to say that I found your comments on Sarah's blog to be refreshingly different in tone from the apparently confident critics. Their anger I welcome. Your thought I value every bit as much. I smiled when I read someone judge you wrong. (In Myers Briggs terms, I'm an extreme 'P'. There's almost no 'J' in me. So I can't help that smile.)

9:20 a.m., April 26, 2007  
Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

Fence, well said. For what it is worth, I totally agree with you. I believe that we all have personal responsibilities and societal responsibilities. I was saddened at how quickly folk denied the latter.

The essence of a "civilised" society is that there is a good balance between both. Although the election flyer that I received through my door this evening would seem to suggest otherwise. This young female candidate extolled the importance of law and order, social cohesion, etc. On the same page, she proudly posted that she'd been jailed for refusing to pay her bin charges!

Omani,
Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming. I was kinda amused also. I know I deliberately egged the "we are all to blame" argument. As I tend to do. But those who know me, will tell you that while I may exaggerate my opinion for effect, my central tenet remains my conviction!

(P.S. Please tell me what Myers Briggs type I am!)
Paige

10:08 p.m., April 26, 2007  
Blogger Omaniblog said...

I will not put you in one of those 16 little boxes, even if you ask me nicely. That was a throwaway remark about Myers Briggs: it was just in case you knew MB typology. I think it is much more interesting to puzzle about your detailed make up than to try and summarise it.

11:46 p.m., April 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home