Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Who are you?

Along with the BMW X5, another status symbol among my ogh so intellectual friends is to have a particular favourite piece by Seamus Heaney that really "says everything". Always the contrarian, while blankpaige doesn't want to dis the good Nobel Laureate, I'd respectfully like to draw your attention to another brilliant Derry-born poet : the lesser known Neil Hannon. Mr Hannon writes wonderful poetry which he delightfully supplies accompanied by the most melodic of tunes. What other artist could have a refrain (Neil does refrains not choruses) which include the "Ba Ba, Ba, Ba Ba Ba, Ba Ba, Ba" (Though there may be a la in their also).

Might I suggest you find a copy of Gin Soaked Boy and crank it up to ten on the stereo? Your day will never start better.

Gin Soaked Boy
(Copyright : Neil Hannon, I think but I'm going to have to go home, find my CD and confirm)

I'm the darkness in the light
I'm the leftness in the right
I'm the rightness in the wrong
I'm the shortness in the long
I'm the goodness in the bad
I'm the saneness in the mad
I'm the sadness in the joy
I'm the gin in the gin-soaked boy

I'm the ghost in the machine
I'm the genius in the gene
I'm the beauty in the beast
I'm the sunset in the east
I'm the ruby in the dust
I'm the trust in the mistrust
I'm the Trojan horse in Troy
I'm the gin in the gin-soaked boy

I'm the tiger's empty cage
I'm the mystery's final page
I'm the stranger's lonely glance
I'm the hero's only chance
I'm the undiscovered land
I'm the single grain of sand
I'm the Christmas morning toy
I'm the gin in the gin-soaked boy

I'm the world you'll never see
I'm the slave you'll never free
I'm the truth you'll never know
I'm the place you'll never go
I'm the sound you'll never hear
I'm the course you'll never steer
I'm the will you'll not destroy
I'm the gin in the gin-soaked boy

I'm the half-truth in the lie
I'm the why not in the why
I'm the last roll of the die
I'm the old school in the tie
I'm the spirit in the sky
I'm the catcher in the rye
I'm the twinkle in her eye
I'm the Jeff Goldblum in "The Fly"

Who am I?


I'm so definitely the "Why not in the Why". So which one are you?
Paige

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger aquaasho said...

"I'm the course you'll never steer."
I like this one!

10:09 a.m., May 09, 2007  
Blogger JL Pagano said...

Good on you Paige. Good contemporary song lyrics don't get half the appreciation they deserve. Most people arejust happy to hum along and/or dance around like fools when they're played. Nice to know there are those who stop and listen once in a while!

10:24 a.m., May 09, 2007  
Blogger cearta said...

I'm the ghost in the machine (a line that could have been coined with bloggers in mind). For sheer lyrical wizardry, however, I also enjoy and recommend "A Lady of a Certain Age" from their most recent album "Victory for the Comic Muse".

11:34 a.m., May 09, 2007  
Blogger Omaniblog said...

Gosh, I too picked the "I'm the why not in the why" well before I got to your choice. I had set myself a-wondering which one I liked best.

But "Ba ba, ba, ba ba ba, ba ba, ba" isn't as good as "Ba, ba ba ba ba, ba ba ba ba, ba ba, ba, ba ba, ba" - I think.

You may not be old enough to recognise that one, but I bet JL P knows it.

Lovely stuff Paige.

12:21 p.m., May 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the twinkle in her eye!

4:05 p.m., May 09, 2007  
Blogger JL Pagano said...

Sorry despite my advanced years all I have as an answer to either version is "black sheep"!

By the way I reckon I'm the Jeff Goldblum in The Fly.

4:16 p.m., May 09, 2007  
Blogger Omaniblog said...

JL P you do know it. It was a sixties number. Maybe it was Nah, nah nah nah nah ... and so on. My memory is a disaster. All I can remember is the rhythm... it'll come back when I'm least expecting it.

8:43 a.m., May 10, 2007  
Blogger cearta said...

When I said that I thought that the line 'ghost in the machine' could have been coined with bloggers in mind, it seems that I wasn't being original. Damn and blast Sharon E. Herbert, for I've just stumbled upon what seems a rather good Canadian blog written by her, called ghosts in the machine! The subtitle, 'Exploring digital identity, privacy and knowledge management' gives a pretty good flavour of what it's about. Now I'm going to have to choose another 'Divine Comedy' line to describe me; being honest, it must - unfortunately - be "the old school in the tie". And I'm also going to have to come up with another good name for my personal blog. Any suggestions?

10:14 a.m., May 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's funny how you leave a song for so many years & then when you re-play it you renew your love of it! I'd say there are some key Divine Comedy songs I've had on a loop for months/years now, ((of late, from one of the few DC albums I don't own, ''A Drinking Song'' , cheers You Tube, & ''Don't Look Down'', & his cover of 'No one Knows', 'Assume the Perpendicular', 'I like', etc, etc)) but of course 'Gin Soaked Boy' should enter my play-list more often! I recall the initial feeling of reaching the end of this song & hearing that whimsical 'Fly' reference, a wry smile with it....but ...which one am I? Well.....I fancy ''I'm the Gin in the gin soaked boy'' but then that may make me sound like an alchoholic! So....ermmm...tough one.....I'm not the darkness or the leftness.....oh...ha ha.... well, I must be the very last line then.... ''then who am I?'' Or, a toss up between 'mystery', 'stranger' , or 'undiscovered!' Well, ha ha, who am I? I'll tell you, I've been a Divine Comedy fan for many many years now.....late 90's.....I think he had me at 'National Express'...& I've never looked back! I vaguely recall watching some of Father Ted during it's original run (& addmitedly not finding it that funny; I think I got the humour a few years later) but I think it was some years until I knew about The Divine Comedy connection....Songs of Love is one of my favourites, ditto My Lovely Horse; in fact any time there's a Neil Hannon twist on something, I give it a listen! Many happy hours/months/years spent listening or singing songs to myself! I think I've been a fan for a good 14 years now! Wow, time flies!! :) Jess, London :)

3:28 a.m., July 12, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home