Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Liz is really letting herself go!


This whole election lark has me miedered like a mad fishwife on a full moon. There was a time when blankpaige fretted about having exhausted the pool of things to write about. Do my blogs have any value? Not now. Thanks to Election 2007, I'm at least sure about one thing. Most of my recent posts have been 'political' and so they are definitely off no value to man or beast!


I've been seeing the same Progressive Democrats poster for quite sometime now and while I knew there was something seemingly incongruous, I could not put my finger on it. "Don't Throw It All Away", the poster exclaims with an unusal backward looking perspective. Most of the other parties at least suggest some forward momentum (Forward Together, Next Steps, A Contract for Change, etc).


But then it hit me, like a clout from a selfish racist bully, when they say 'don't throw it all away' the emphasis is on the word "all". This suggests that it is acceptable to throw some of it away. So then the only question is which bit. A quick check on the PD website for further clarification was interesting but not exactly informative.


You get lots of pictures of Liz O'Donnell trying to sex up a dossier that really needs some attention. That weapon of mass distruction, Michael McDowell is back up the lamp-posts with the new slogan "Left Wing Government?, No thanks". This is really quite amusing 'cos I'd bet that if you asked 100 Irish people where their politics are, 95 would say "Left of Centre", 4 would say "Far Left" and then there would be Enda Kenny who'd have to wait until Pat told him what he was.


The PD Site also proudly displays a picture of Michael perched behind the wheel of a large 4X4 with the words "Garda Ombudsman" on the side. This photo is wrong on so many levels. But try this one. The Garda Ombudsman is an administrative function with an office in Abbey Street. Now I know the Luas works have made shite of the tarmac around there but we really don't need a 4X4 to get into the one spot in Dublin that is served by the greatest number of public transport options.


Of course, maybe Michael is a big Olivia Newton-John fan and he just likes the lyrics




"So don't throw it all away


I don't wanna be the one who's gonna have to beg you stay


I don't wanna be the one to change your mind


One more time, Please stay


Don't throw it all away"



But then I can't recall him begging anyone to stay. Certainly not foreign nationals.

5 Comments:

Blogger Omaniblog said...

I love your throw away phrase about Enda. I'm having a big struggle imagining him representing the country, with his clipped vowels and diluted gravitas. As they say, I bet he's great fun in private.

But it's your picture of the big Minister that shows your writing off as the wonderfully visual tonic it is.

10:07 p.m., May 16, 2007  
Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

Thanks Omani (why do I never call you Omaniblog? Am I being too familiar?).

Spookily that sentence originally had the notion "Left, Far Left and Leftovers". It was written before I heard McD use that line on tonights debate.

If I had posted it as I originally planned, the coincidence would have left me so shaken with fear that Herr McD was personally stalking my site, that I'd have taken flight from blogosphere for ever.

11:48 p.m., May 16, 2007  
Blogger JL Pagano said...

Liz can sex up my dossier any day.

9:27 p.m., May 17, 2007  
Blogger Omaniblog said...

So, Michael listened to your advice and walked...

12:04 a.m., May 26, 2007  
Blogger Omaniblog said...

Or was he really stalking your site. I think it's extremely unlikely you've gone off together.

12:06 a.m., May 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home