Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Meme the Merrier

I know that I wrote last year about how I hate chain letters, e-mails and the like. Well the "5 weird habits of a successful blogger" meme that did the rounds before Christmas set me thinking. I realise that one of the benefits of this sort of instrument is that it promotes interaction between bloggers. Well it does after a fashion. But apart from going "you're it!" in someone's blog comments, it doesn't take a lot of effort on the part of the initiator, and hence on the part of the perpetrator.

I thought it might be interesting to try something that required a little bit more effort.

Say, for example, in order to be tagged, you had to review 5 different blogs. 5 of your own choosing, ones that you rarely land on. Then offer up a short critique/commentary on what you've read. It would need to be a positive contribution although it doesn't have to be complimentary. But anyone can be critical the trick is being constructively critical. I suppose as a courtesy, you'd need to check if someone was happy with being the subject of your review

At the end of the session, you'll have written on 5 different themes. Each individual will have relevant feedback and the community will have begun to compile a useful guide to Irish bloggerville.

What do you think?

5 Comments:

Blogger KnackeredKaz said...

Hmmmm I think that sounds like a very interesting idea, except the part about asking people if they're happy to be reviewed by you.

If someone's doing a blog then they've put themselves in the public domain and are, in a fashion, public property to be judged/assessed/reviewed by others. That doesn't mean that it's right to post hurtful or negative comments on their blog or on yours about them, that shouldn't happen.....but if you went around asking everyone's permission, no one would agree to it unless you promised to be complimentary, and that would defeat the purpose of the whole thing.

After all, restaurant reviewers in the main don't ask permission to review a premises (well the good ones don't!), they simply turn up and note down their findings as they see them. This leads to a more honest and unbiased (re)view.

So I say reviewing other blogs and promoting interaction - yes! But asking permission to do so - not necessary!

If you start a game such as this though, you could of course insert some rules that there would be no racist or sexist comments or foul language allowed and that everyone who takes part would simply give their opinion on the blogs they reviewed, whether they liked them or not.

So when are you going to kick off the game Paige?! I'll play if you will!

3:29 p.m., January 04, 2006  
Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

Cool someone thinks my idea is interesting. That beats last year's record by nearly 360 days!!

On reflection, I agree totally with the idea of not asking permission.

I'll give the "rules" some thought and I'll come back to this shortly.

Thanks for the feedback Kaz,
Paige

10:05 p.m., January 04, 2006  
Blogger dunner74 said...

I think thats a great idea. Can I play too?? Can I??? Please????

What I do is if I find someone has posted a comment on someone's blog that I read (I am fairly new to this so I dont have a lot of blogs that I read) or on my blog I go to their blog if it is linked, read theirs and then try and go through all the ones that they have linked to see if I can find any other ones I liked.

I have found some really interesting ones, aswell as some run of the mill ones like my own. But it definately opens up bloggerville to any new people like myself.

dunner74

3:19 a.m., January 05, 2006  
Blogger Fence said...

Sounds interesting, but how would you choose the blogs you review? Would the tagger suggest them? Do they have to be Irish blogs?

I'm asking too many questions here amn't I?

9:54 a.m., January 05, 2006  
Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

Enough interest to give this the green light I think!

My blog habits are exactly like you describe Dunner. And of course you can play.

Fence, Blogs don't have to be Irish but should be of interest to Irish bloggers. How we select the blogs is entirely up to us. I'd say let someone pick a blog & review it rather than tag but that's probably just my aforementioned chain mail aversion kicking in again!

All, What's your preference?

I'll scribble up a few rules as soon as I get this work report finished!!

5:25 p.m., January 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home