Thursday, January 05, 2006

Bloggers Digest : Blog Review Meme

Following on from the recent post about memes, chain mails and the like. I was sufficiently encouraged (*) to try to take this idea further. I've scribbled up some possible "rules" (see below) for general critique.

Not being too technically minded, someone might tell me that this sort of thing has already been or can't be done. That feedback is also welcomed.

On reflection, I don't think we need to ask anyone's permission. And even though I hate chains, in order to create a dynamic, it might help for each person to tag someone else by a blog for them to review. But just so we don't get burdened with the same tags, I thought about linking everything back to a single blog post.

(* okay so it was only Dunner & Kaz, but in my book that's encouragement!)

Draft Rules for Discussion
  1. Select 5 different, unrelated blog sites that you don't normally visit.
  2. Spend some time reviewing the content, comments, etc. and compose a short review article (suggested headings below)
  3. In your review, include a link to the reviewed site and a link to this post.
  4. Include the phrase "Reviewed by XXX for Irish Bloggers" at the end of your review article and include the number of sites reviewed (e.g. 4th review by blankpaige)
  5. Leave a polite, thoughtful comment on the reviewed site, link to your review article and ask them to take up the challenge.
  6. Encourage fellow bloggers to review as many or as few as they'd like
  7. Be constructive and interesting in your review

Possible review criteria could include :-

  • First Impressions
  • Theme & Content
  • Readability, Tone & Style
  • Volume of Traffic
  • Use of images, graphics
  • Star Rating / Marks out of ten

Please tell me now if this is a stupid idea!

6 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

I think it's an extremely good idea. It's just I barely have time to post to my own blog as it is!

6:50 p.m., January 06, 2006  
Blogger KnackeredKaz said...

I think it's a good idea too! I guess the reviews wouldn't have to be massively long...so it shouldn't take too long to do.

Maybe Paige if you do it first and have something to show to people as an example so they'll know what to do when it's their turn?

8:49 p.m., January 06, 2006  
Blogger dunner74 said...

I think Kaz is onto something here. Can you do it and let us know what way you would like us to go with it?

dunner

8:41 p.m., January 07, 2006  
Blogger JL Pagano said...

OK - my two cents' worth...

Maybe 3 instead of 5 to help with the time constraints issue brought up by rinceoir?

You can be sure if your critique is in any way unfavourable your own blog will be top of their review list!

Maybe create a button to go on your blog to say you have already been reviewed, kind of like a charity sitcker?

All in al it's a great idea, and you can count me in.

10:11 a.m., January 08, 2006  
Blogger Fiona de Londras said...

Agreed with JL Pagano on all fronts

2:55 p.m., January 08, 2006  
Blogger Cian said...

Sounds like great fun.

1:57 a.m., January 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home