Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Ipso facto or some other latin phrase

Some sad individual left me a comment recently suggesting that my Middle East posts were "meaningless rants". Now excuse me if I have not joined up the dots properly, but isnt that one of the best things about blogging that you can have meaningless rants whenever you feel like it? Anyway, I always try to be the bigger person (a facet that I take into many aspects of my life) so I initially decided to ignore the twat. But of course, I can never resist a cat fight (another regular feature of my life) so I then decided to try to be condescending (ditto). But like a blog knight on a white stead, Omani came to my rescue with the most brilliantly incisive put down that almost makes my post worth reading just for the context alone.

The whole unsavoury incident set me thinking. Now I can't think about any blog subject matter without wondering is it just another meaningless rant?

So while we are on the subject, is it just me of have you also had your fill of charity muggers (chuggers) and free newspaper dispensers? A girl can't walk the footpaths of Dublin without being accosted on all sides by some twat asking for a minute of my time or thrusting another copy of the Daily Grind into my hand. If I want a newspaper I go off to a newspaper shop and buy a copy of The Guardian. If I want to find out something about the Ryder Cup or which local priest has abused which local temptress, I buy a copy of The Irish Times. (It's the paper of record don't you know!) If I want to find out who has shagged who on Celebrity Ready Steady Cook, I buy a copy of the Indo. I don't need some highly incentivised marketing graduate thrust me a ream of classified adverts cunningly disguised as a newspaper.

And then there is the chuggers. Am I the only person in this country (Bono excepted of course) who'd happily pay another 1-2% income tax so that all the things that should be funded get funded? If I get sick, I want a hospital bed because I need it not because some obsessive crank from Mullingar pushed a hospital bed around Ireland on a sponsored walk. Charity organisations should be banned and all their very important services provided for by the state. Full stop.

Still, this is probably just another meaningless rant.

10 Comments:

Blogger Fence said...

Iffin your post was so meaningless why did they bother to comment? Eh? eh?

Also your genius suggestion (Charity organisations should be banned and all their very important services provided for by the state) must be shared

2:39 p.m., August 09, 2006  
Blogger Paul O'Mahony (Cork) said...

I wrote that "put down" while I was ill. I plead that I was under the influence.

You are too generous.

"If I want to find out something about the Ryder Cup ... I buy a copy of The Irish Times..." Oh, if only The Irish Times would follow up the story about the poor greenkeepers at the Ryder Cup venue, the K-Club. Maybe I've missed it but where is the investigative journalism? Are the Greenkeepers at the K-Club still in dispute with their, allegedly, parsimonious employer.

2:41 p.m., August 09, 2006  
Blogger fifipoo07 said...

i'm pretty sure that the sad individual, concerned came 2 u via my blog, sorry about that. I DO NOT subscribe to his views. I found him on one of my favourite blogs, blevins (http://blevins96.blogspot.com, who again is no canuck), and went on his blog had a bit of a blogging ding dong, and he's commented on mine. He finds my views laughable as well.Your posts aren't meaningless rants btw, in fact i thought that the one he commented on and the foreign affairs for dummies were some of the best i've ever read. Anyway do please still come to my blog, i always enjoy your comments. Pippa.

11:31 p.m., August 09, 2006  
Blogger fifipoo07 said...

Oh and btw if you are interested to know what i said on canuck's blog, just pop over there, it's all in the comments for his august 6th post. And he has commented on my stop the un, qana airstrike and diplomacy,diplomacy,diplomacy posts. Just thought you might like to have a flavour of his comments on my blog. Hasn't called any of them meaningless rants though.......yet, . Pippa

12:20 a.m., August 10, 2006  
Blogger fifipoo07 said...

ooopsy , it was the un stop israel post.

12:20 a.m., August 10, 2006  
Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

Pippa, don't worry or feel in any way responsible for the sad commenter happening upon my blog.

2:13 p.m., August 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

paige - you're right - meaningless ranting is what its all about - one man's meaningless is another man's (or woman's) heartfelt gett-it-off-your-chest-ery (sic)

5:13 p.m., August 10, 2006  
Blogger ainelivia said...

Let's hear it for the meaningless rants, to some extent I often struggle to make things meaningful before I post them.

Now I don't really feel I have to any more. Thanks paige.

I think this should be called the "blankPaige effect", and should definitely have a page on Wiki.

11:19 a.m., August 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely, agree, with plura above.

It's what the fun of blogging is all about, meaningless rants.

11:21 a.m., August 11, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

'Meaningless' is surely the opposite to 'rant'? If it were meaningless, why would you be arsed to rant in the first place?

Vive le rant!

There are plenty of people quite willing to let life take them up the bum without question or quibble. Ranting if nothing else, proves your mental faculties are very much alive and in working order!

6:58 p.m., August 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home