Monday, July 17, 2006

With supreme thanks to Super Shane

The now permanently iPod-ed Paige has rediscovered her love of music. Like a romance of old, it has rekindled thoughts and memories long since buried by years of working in Cubicleville. However no amount of performance appraisals or competence-base models can hide the fact that I once indulged myself in poetry of a very special kind.

Last weekend, I discovered a box of my old cassettes that once accompanied me and my VW Golf all over Europe. I hope Victor who shared that magical journey to the South of France, still listens to the Pogues and thanks Paige for the introduction as much as She does him for learning about Elvis Costello. And I so wish I had this stuff on my iPod.

There is no need to forget Bell X1, Cooks or the Frames but no-one can call themselves an Irish music fan if they haven't come to love the poetry of our own Dylan.

White City
Here a tower shinning bright
Once stood gleaming in the night
Where now theres just the rubble in the hole
Here the paddies and the frogs
Came to gamble on the dogs
Came to gamble on the dogs not long ago

Oh the torn up ticket stubs
From a hundred thousand mugs
Now washed away with dead dreams in the rain
And the car-parks going up
And theyre pulling down the pubs
And its just another bloody rainy day

Oh sweet city of my dreams
Of speed and skill and schemes
Like atlantis you just disappeared from view
And the hare upon the wire
Has been burnt upon your pyre
Like the black dog that once raced
Out from trap two

(c) Copyright Shane McGowan 1989

7 Comments:

Blogger JL Pagano said...

Don't iPods rock? Just load up hundreds of your favourite tunes, slap it on shuffle and it's like having your own personl radio station!

3:33 p.m., July 17, 2006  
Blogger fifipoo07 said...

Aren't iPods great? BTW some computer software programmes such as sonic mastering studio allow you to convert your tapes into cd's so then you can put them on your iPod. The other things you need is a hifi that plays cassettes and an audio cable. Have you seen the George Bush and tony blair vid btw?

1:10 a.m., July 18, 2006  
Blogger Curly K said...

How far behind am I? I still don't own an iPod - can't see where I'd use it; can you connect them to car stereos?? It's the only place I could see me using one!

11:15 a.m., July 18, 2006  
Blogger Paul O'Mahony (Cork) said...

You're right. Shane was a great writer. That's fine poetry.

He was on my bus once - a 31 into Camden Town.

4:44 p.m., July 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, cassettes seem so ancient now don't they? I recently got a box of my tapes from the folks attic and I got all nostalgic rummaging through it.
As well the original stuff, there's lot of mix tapes that people made me and stuff I taped off the radio.
Not to mention some dodgy acquisitions...

I only recently got a mp3 player and I don't know how I survived without it, even though I listen to music all the time I'm at home or else in the car, way too loud.

2:58 p.m., July 22, 2006  
Blogger fifipoo07 said...

Just wondered how the iPod was going?

11:59 p.m., July 22, 2006  
Blogger Fence said...

I wonder is the term ipod in danger of becomming the mp3 version of hoover or sellotape...

No I've nothing else to say, apart from the fact that yes, mp3 players rock. But I don't like iPods, and there is no basis for my dislike whatsoever.

2:05 p.m., July 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home