Monday, August 07, 2006

In love

Regular readers of the blankpaige, yes both of you, will know that this girl has shared some painful insights of late. Some of you good people were even kind enough to send me a little note of encouragement. Some went as far as to concur that, listen sisters, men are bastards.

So I feel a mixture of unbridled joy and acute embarrassment this evening, as I feel compelled to announce to all in Blogosphere - "I am in love!"

Now I've noticed that being in love isn't something that bloggers announce very often. There are plenty of my man/god/bookclub/credit card company has just dumped me and I'm going to take solace in a nice big bowl of Ben&Jerry ice cream/bottle of Chateauneuf du pape/Czech builder who is hung like a stag.


It is the same with songs. All the best ones are laments to love lost. All our best writers are missing something and our best painters are troubled. Performance artists and troubadour musicians battle the dark side. Even our best comedians are, we believe, secretly hiding something sinister.

(Admission to Omani. I’ve just deleted five paragraphs which attempted to weave a whole story about my new love. But I realise that I’ve pulled that stunt once too often. Is this the reason why you heartlessly call me a fibber?)

I don’t know how I missed it when it came out. I know that over the past year I have read every newspaper ever sold, distributed or force on me by an enthusiastic Brazilian in O’Connell Street. I realize those ‘so cool they piss ice cubes’ cinema critics in the Ticket must have written five whole articles extolling the wonder, then three more panning the crassness and then made much mileage in snide side remarks. But I can’t explain how I missed it.

But last night, a good pal and I sat in with a bottle of Chateauneuf (alas no Czech builder) and watched what I now realise is the best Irish movie ever made. The movie is based on a novel written by one of our best authors. The screenplay was written by the author and the film’s director, a man with a cannon of work of John Huston proportions. Our best male actor plays the lead role. It is the best movie despite featuring a cast of the usual Irish suspects (Gleeson, Rea and Neeson) and Van Morrison music. It is set in the most depressing decade of our country’s recent past, it tackles a theme of exploitation of innocence and yet it is joyously uplifting.

And if you haven’t yet seen it. Check it out at once. This is without doubt the best Irish movie of the last 20 years and probably the best European film of the same period. I can’t understand why it hasn’t run for weeks and weeks in our cinemas. Why hasn't some Roscommon TD on the make not insist that this be added to the Leaving Cert curriculum? Go figure.


Blankpaige

10 Comments:

Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

The movie is, of course, Breakfast on Pluto.

If you haven't seen this, you are in for a treat.

If you have, then you'll enjoy seeing it again.

If you are one of those 'So cool you piss ice cubes' journos from the Ticket, I'm sorry for my lack of panache.

12:53 a.m., August 07, 2006  
Blogger dunner74 said...

Breakfast on Pluto is one of, if not the best movie I have seen in a long long time.

3:56 p.m., August 07, 2006  
Blogger Fence said...

I thought it would run for weeks and weeks, so I didn't rush to the cinema to view. And so, alas, missed it. I'll add it to the "must watch" list now. But I so rarely rent anything anymore.

8:10 p.m., August 07, 2006  
Blogger Curly K said...

Will have to get that out so, glad to hear it will be better than the tripe I ended up watching at the weekend (never send a man to do a woman's work!!)

12:45 p.m., August 08, 2006  
Blogger Paul O'Mahony (Cork) said...

If calling you a 'fibber' - which is a term of endearment - is going to lead to you deleting some of your storytelling... I'm going to withdraw that description. I love the way you play with us in your fantastic tales.
As I was reading the title, I said to myself "she's fallen in love... that doesn't surprise me... perhaps it's a bit early to declare it... but good on her..."

Instead I have to imagine the two of you in front of a film I've never seen. Another for my long list of unseen films.

Are you in the right mood for "March of the Penguins"? I could lend you that one.

1:48 p.m., August 08, 2006  
Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

thanks to you all for for the comments.

Omani, I am thinking of writing about called the Paige Principles. And if I do, one would certainly be "Given the natural tendancy to tell the world when one is down, it is never too early to tell that same world when you are in love". Another comment in the little book of Harrison wisdom will be "Being in love is a great substitute for being in a relationship!"

Do yourself a favour and elevate Pluto well up your list. I'll check out the Penguin.

3:03 p.m., August 08, 2006  
Blogger Steven said...

Leaving Cert curriculum... At least Yeats wasn't missing from your course.

Will watch the fil-um at some point Paige. Thanks for the tip. Hope life is well.

8:01 p.m., August 08, 2006  
Blogger fifipoo07 said...

That clock thing is cool paige. I have got one now on my blog, gonna give u a shoutout in a post today. Pippa

10:17 p.m., August 08, 2006  
Blogger Paul O'Mahony (Cork) said...

Penguins are cool. In case you are smitten, try "Death and the Penguin" by Andrey Kurkov. Born St Petersburg, writing in Kiev, did military service as a warden in Odessa prison... all about a writer who keeps a penguin as a house pet... really about Ukranian mafia... only 228 pages.

7:42 p.m., August 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a great movie - despite brendan gleesons bad cockney accent - or is that 28 days later i'm thinking about

5:17 p.m., August 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home