Thursday, March 30, 2006

Radio Gaga

As part of my work, I spend a lot of my time on public transport. While I’m getting into the swing of mobile technology, I know my limitations. I have been able to read blogs on my mobile phone and it has brought a lot of joy to some otherwise drab Dublin Bus excursions. But I certainly haven’t been able to blog on the run like Omani, Thatgirl or Mental Meanderings. These model bloggers (and others) regularly don’t find overseas business trips an obstacle to their continued posting. One even whiled away the delays in the departures lounge at Dublin airport keeping Blog O’Sphere up to date with the impact of French traffic controller strikes on outbound flights. I can’t even master a simple telephone call from the States. I’m either stung for a fortune in extortionate hotel surcharges or I become embroiled in a battle of wits with the same AT&T operator.

One advantage of being so technologically inept is that I think listening to the radio on my mobile phone is the height of sophistication. Don’t be talking to me about mlogging or podcasts! And the best thing about the radio in Ireland is that it is generally very, very good. The trick is to know when to switch. But then they say the same thing about technology. So maybe it isn’t all beyond me!

So stand by for the all time best radio listening selection. Just as soon as I get some work done! In fact, I'll even take switching suggestions from fellow bloggers.

Paige


(To be completed)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

boredom dear girl, it's an amazing sauce :)

7:47 p.m., March 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogging from airports is a doddle, so long as you don't mind paying the fee. You can pay on line, via credit card. About 10 euros for an hour of time, so long as you don't log off. You can also buy a 24 hour slot during which you can log on and off as often as you like.

My frustration with blogging on the move is that I have a crap battery that I've been too lazy and stingy to change. So i can only get about 35 minutes of power. There are few power points available in airports. There is one in the AnnaLivia lounge in Dublin Airport. You get any amount of goodish coffee, crappy apples, reasonable bananas, excellent oranges, newspapers and polite conversation from the staff there. Problem is: it shuts at about 1730. So when you are waiting for the last plane back to Cork you have nowhere good to go. It costs money to go into AnnaLivia, and it's a bugger to find but, during the day, it's great.
When will RyanAir have an up-market lounge?

9:48 a.m., March 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home