Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Party Animal

I was at a house party last night that gave me cause to give a long and critical look at myself. I've certainly never been the life and soul of any soiree. Preferring to watch quietly from the shadows, I could best be described as a curious wallflower. It takes more than a little persuasion – and increasingly a lot of alcohol - to get me to boogie on down.

Because I was driving to Galway early the following morning, I was abstemiously off the gargle. It is a sad indictment that it has probably been years since I was last at a house party without some form of liquid fortification. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed myself.

The party theme of “Pirates & Princesses” was well observed by most of the quests. I hadn’t thought that people would bother – so I didn’t – not wishing to stand out. Arriving to a house full of Blackbeards and Princess Jasmines, I instantly regretted that decision. “God, I need at drink!”

My friends had come as Lusty Lucinda (a lesser known Scandinavian royal beauty) and Princess Dominatrix. Needless to say they couldn’t be described as wallflowers! They bopped, swung and rocked enthusiastically with Long John Silver and a guy who clearly fancied himself as Johnny Depp. Alas, he didn’t quite do it for me.

All over the room, the princesses were swooning into the arms of men known to have wrecked havoc all across the seven seas and the M50. Things almost got a bit rough when two buccaneers, Captain Morgan and Redbeard accidentally collided on the dancer floor throwing drink all over the place. Their attendant wenches however stepped in quickly like would be Keira Knightly’s to distract both men with their charms before any harm was done. No one was forced to walk the plank – not event the music guy who insisted on playing “La Vida Loca” by Ricky Martin.

The usual coy moves played out throughout the night across the living room and into the quieter dining room retreat. Princesses compared the price of fabric and notes on other royal family members. Some pirates insisted on pretend wrestling (sorry, is that adjective redundant? Isn’t all wrestling pretend?) strutting their stuff like peakcocks in front of fainting princesses. But to my sober eyes it all looked like kinder garden stuff.

Which was probably just as well. Because the would be Pirate of the Caribbean was only 5 years of age. Princess Jasmine hadn’t started school yet and the strongest drink consumed at Sinead's 4th birthday party was ribena black current juice. They all had so much fun especially my little niece, Sinead, the Queen of the princesses. Blackbeard (known to his mum as Oisin) who’d asked me to dance said that I was the best dancer at the party. Princess Belle, who herself looked stunning, told me that my dress was beautiful. I’d so much fun at this party. I’m glad I didn’t spend it like Lucy & Dominique in the kitchen drinking with the mums & dads!

3 Comments:

Blogger -Ann said...

That sounds like a great party. My nephew (nearly 4) was just invited to his first party and it's a costume affair. He's quite disappointed though as his first choice (Darth Vader) is verboten since the birthday girl is afraid of Darth. My brother is searching for a cylndrical bin of the right size to make an R2-D2 costume.

6:27 p.m., March 29, 2006  
Blogger Paul O'Mahony (Cork) said...

Brilliantly disguised. Great sense of timing too. You took in completely, except that I knew there would be a twist coming. Delightful to come back to after a day out in Limerick playing golf with wimps who gave up after it rained a bit.

10:10 a.m., March 30, 2006  
Blogger Paul O'Mahony (Cork) said...

You took me in completely... It's good to re-read what you write.

10:11 a.m., March 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home