Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Importance of Being Anonymous

Regular readers of blankpaige will know that I've fallen into a state of little blog postings for sometime now. There are many reasons for this. Not the least because of some disturbing e-stalking action that some of my harmless (pointless?) post elicited. Another reason was that my email address became under serious threat from a deluge of spam attacks.

Various bloggers have touched on the subject of anonymity before. I've two minds on the matter. I don't mind too much because I realise that we all reveal so much more about ourselves through our thoughts and comments. Although I suppose I wanted to decide what aspects of myself I reveal to Blogosphere and what pieces I don't. For this reason, I've stayed steadfast to my first rule and only rule of blogging - I won't meet any blogger for a coffee, drink or unbridled sexual action. (Sorry, Ben!)

Even though I'm no techno-head, I realise that there are certain steps and remedial actions that I can/could have taken to prevent the irritations of unwanted advances/comments. One simple and specific step would be to not allow anonymous comments be posted. However, I don't think it fair that I should "hide" behind my own level of anonymity but deny some other blogger who wants to comment that same privilege. Hence I haven't.

So this makes the posts by one particular anonymous (and quite obviously deranged) individual all the more irritating.

So Dear Anonymous-of-the-1000-words-of-pointless-irrelevant-crap-variety, please stop this shit. I don't read beyond the first sentence. You are wasting my time and your own life. Go get one.

Paige

6 Comments:

Blogger Fence said...

Ah, but you aren't anonymous though, you are pseudonymous.

Plus your blog is exactly that, yours, so you have the right to stop anyone from commenting on it. They can always start their own blog if they want to reply to you.

9:16 a.m., November 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree with fence...your blog, your rules. This is where you get to be the despot.

I always think people's blogs are like their living rooms and they kindly invite you in for a chat with them. If you jump on their sofa in your muddy feet and scrawl graffiti on the wall then they can kick you out and they don't have to be polite about it.

The concept of free speech, as if people's personal webpages are some kind of democratic space and you can spew whatever rubbish you like, just doesn't apply.

9:36 a.m., November 28, 2006  
Blogger Red Mum said...

I think anonymous is doing the Irishblog rounds, as someone commented on my blog after anonymous had cut and paste their realms of nonsense, it made my head dizzy and I didn't read it either.

Glad to see you back posting and I won't badger you for a coffee! I'll just enjoy your posts when you do them.

(I tried commenting on your return post before but being in dial-up land and despite my new snazzy laptop - the phone line was stubbornly refusing to allow me to do so)

11:12 a.m., November 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the other commenters - your blog, your rules. I wouldn't even acknowledge that you've received questionable mail - those kind of people only thrive on attention (any kind of attention)...so log the IP addresses and mind yourself!

3:32 p.m., November 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a new (and not-anonymous) reader of yours, I don't think your posts are of the pointless-irrelevant-crap-variety. and I always read beyond the first sentence and don't consider it a waste of my time :)

11:12 a.m., November 29, 2006  
Blogger Fi said...

I encountered some nasty IP address stalking, trawling and general interference too this year. So I found the person, it wasn't hard as they were dumb, and complained to their boss. Done and dusted. It's worth thinking about!
It may be a public forum but it's your space.

5:42 p.m., January 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home