Monday, August 28, 2006

Au Revoir, Mes Enfants

Regular readers will know that Blankpaige is often very flaky but what she loses in composure she makes up for in determination. A year ago today, I took my first tentative steps into Blogosphere. It started out as a concerted effort to prove my older, so much smarter sister wrong. She and her husband had one for their notorious dinner parties to which they’d invited their usual collection of interesting people and a boring single man. This latter pathetic appendage was recruited in the vain hope that some wonderful romance would blossom with youngest sibling and bring an end once and for all to her embarrassing state of permanent singularity.

Fortunately for me, the pressure to perform got the better of said gent. Or should I say Dominic’s bottle of 15 year old malt whisky got the better of him. Either way he had to be excused shortly after dessert was served. Being the family clown, Paige of course had to do a funny comic turn about the whole (otherwise) embarrassing situation which got the party started in earnest. We’d a wide ranging discussion on all subjects from our preferred name for Dingle (Dingle) to the most influential person we had ever met. Someone raised the question of “If one thing in your school days had turned out differently, how would it have affected your life?”.

Still flushed from my Perrier-winning comic performance, I suggested with only a hint of irony that had Ms McBride not taken my class for religion, I’d be less racked with guilty and would probably be living in a Parisian loft making a comfortable living as a social diarist with Le Monde and taking an interesting new cabinet minister as a lover every six months. I should point out at this juncture that every outlandish suggestion by the other guests was met with overwhelming approval and plausibility. My modest enough suggestion was in contrast met with disdain by all even Alan, a man I’d never met before that evening. I was disgusted, I can tell you.

But what really got up my nose was my sister’s dismissal of such a possibility on the grounds that I’d never have a discipline to write a diary for long enough to even describe one ministerial affair! I perhaps should be thankful that she didn’t call my voracious romantic appetite or attractiveness to French politicians in question. She casually mentioned the well know fact that I never finish anything that I start. I, it seems, don’t have the staying power to write for more than two days. Red rag, bull and, as I recall, many vodka & red bull’s later, I was rightly incensed. I could write if I wanted, I protested. But perhaps most annoying was that my notorious “unreliability” would prevent any editor from employing me. Such cheek! This coming from a woman who is frequently happy to entrust her new born child’s welfare in the hand for one so flaky. My sister has invited me to another dinner party next Saturday and I’m going to prove her wrong or what?

Over the past year, I’ve discovered that writing does indeed require great discipline but that I am capable of sustaining such an effort. I’ve written 285 posts in 360 days. Some of which I’ve even posted on my blog site. I’ve discovered a myriad of high fangled technology and can with some knowledge discuss statcounters, YouTube and Bebo. But more importantly, I have discovered a wonderful community of brilliant writers who encourage and support you even when you aren’t very good. Your few moments of brilliance are celebrated with Shaggy’s, Blogroll call outs and hyperlinks. It has been a privilege for me to have interacted with such fine individuals. I’d take anyone of you any day over a philandering French junior minister. Alas, I’ve also discovered that the reason I’m not ensconced in a rooftop overlooking the Seine with a naked Gaul has more to do with my lack of talent as a writer than with Ms McBride’s stern delivery of Catholic dogma.

I hope that you will excuse my discontinuing as a blogger. I genuinely don’t feel worthy of the description owing to my lack of original talent and the selfish (childish) reason that I started blogging. I will continue to check out your brilliant posts and wish you all continued success.

Paige

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a terrible shame to see you go, I've really enjoyed reading your blog.

I, and many other people will miss you.

Best of luck for the future.

2:11 p.m., August 28, 2006  
Blogger Fence said...

Aw, we'll miss you.

And if you ever come back to blogging, we'll be waiting ...

5:47 p.m., August 28, 2006  
Blogger Auds said...

Noooo, I really enjoyed that post - the ending was surprising and disappointing.

You mightn't appreciate the Boss but you sure write good.

8:35 p.m., August 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah no, Paige, don't go.
Maybe you could just post less frequently to free up more time?

9:28 p.m., August 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear Paige - this is contagious isn't it - I'm with Sinead on this one - who says you have to post frequently - it's quality over quantity any day and girl you've got it (when you reinvent yourself don't forget to let us know your new address ok?)

10:01 p.m., August 28, 2006  
Blogger Steven said...

If you stop blogging I'm going off and having a succession of one night stands and generally becoming a horrible, horrible person.

Paige...

Talent in the case of writing is subjective. A bunch of us look forward to your posts on a regular basis. Blog for yourself even if it is once a fortnight.

Just please don't stop!

10:20 p.m., August 28, 2006  
Blogger JL Pagano said...

In the words of Montgomery Burns, "PISH-POSH".

yOU AIN'T GOING NOWHERE GIRL.

12:57 a.m., August 29, 2006  
Blogger Curly K said...

Paige, can't believe you are no longer going to blog :-(. Just say you're taking a break and come back to us refreshed. Some of us really look forward to your great posts - intellectual and insightful.

You are going to devastate Omani!

11:42 a.m., August 29, 2006  
Blogger -Ann said...

Oh no. Come back - if for no other reason that you don't want the sullying of Steven's soul on your conscience for the rest of your days.

5:41 p.m., August 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah gwan paige, leaving us, miss you. Sure a change is as good as a rest, i spose. if you do decide to pop up again somewhere, come by and leave your web address, been good to "know" you.

8:10 p.m., August 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paige no! Don't do it.

Sure we've all had those days and the pressure to produce something daily can get you down but there are no rules. You are a fantastic blogger...one of the gems of the boggosphere.

I'm with the others...maybe take a break and see if you really want to give it up?

11:24 p.m., August 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bye Bye

11:25 p.m., August 29, 2006  
Blogger Simon said...

don't you be leaving us you hear.

12:28 a.m., August 30, 2006  
Blogger Gerry said...

Don't go. I've just found your blog on your last post and I want more. It's not fair....

7:44 a.m., August 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paige,
n'arrete pas, s'il te plait. Given a choice between blogging and having an affair with any of the French cabinet ministers at the moment, I'd stick to blogging. None of them are particularly interesting, not even le petit Nicolas.

And we're all fast to criticise ourselves, but a lot of people are telling you - and I firmly believe that they're not lying - that you are good and you can write. And we enjoy reading what you write.

6:33 p.m., August 30, 2006  
Blogger fifipoo07 said...

Paige- boo hoo! But good luck in whatever you do. I will be going the same way in a few weeks as well....a big change is gonna happen in my life....I will write about it on my blog in a couple of weeks time. Pippa

9:56 p.m., August 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woow! how do you pack so much into a few words?

There is so much going on here. It's deep stuff. I compliment you.

Immediate thoughts from me,
- Don't blog because you wanted to prove something to your sister.
- Don't stop blogging because you think you can’t write.
- Don't fish for compliments, it costs too much. Although you have just gotten a few
- Don't think discipline is the be-all; passion is a much greater trait

And
- Do stop fooling yourself, if you were going to quit blogging you wouldn’t have blogged about it

Donagh

10:29 p.m., September 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come back Paige!

1:43 p.m., September 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home