Monday, March 06, 2006

Paige Blank

The two people who regularly check out my blog will realise that I’ve hit a bit of a mental block. All creativity has dried up. I can’t think of any subject matter that I’d like to blog on. And so, of late, I have adopted a “read and comment” mode of existence. I’m a failure – I’ll never be able to have that best seller book or even get my own syndicated column in the Bray Gazette. This realisation has come as a major shock as it highlights in the most dramatic of manner how uninteresting I am!

Now before you kind people start protesting, I’m not looking for comments of encouragement. I’m not fishing for compliments. You guys are the very best. But in many ways that only adds to the pressure. When I started blogging, I blogged for myself and to see if I could sustain 6 months of regular posts. Several public spirited individuals have told me to keep it up. I even won a “Shaggy” award! The good people of Blog O’Sphere told me that they enjoyed my posts. Now I’ve a small expectant audience.

There are loads of subjects worth blogging on. However, as I start to write, I realise that I perhaps don’t know the subject matter well enough. This forces me to go and read more – no bad thing – but this reduces further my prospects of blogging. It’s a vicious circle that I need to break.

So I decided to stop looking at my “problem” (*), from my perspective. The fundamentalist religious zealot would probably tell me that I need to pray harder for inspiration. The political intelligentsia might suggest that I’m a debased culturally-deficient product of a failed socio-economic system that prizes widget makers over widget designers. The techno-heads would probably advise that there is a useful freeware patch and html RSS code that I can install on my blog to counteract the low productivity output. The G&L&B liberals would probably nod knowingly and secretly take comfort in the fact that while they may be ‘queer’ at least they aren’t boring. The independent blog consultants would probably be quick to offer some blog life coaching. The sweet photo-bloggers would probably offer an interesting snap taken from the 9:47 am luas that captures in one shutter movement the essence of post-Celtic tiger Ireland. Empathetic bloggers would probably advise a duvet, a packet of hobnob, the sofa and to hell with the Weight Watcher points.

You are all right of course, this is just a passing phase. A typical moment of crisis that comes after the first flush of enthusiasm fades. So don’t feel obliged to comment. Just keep posting your brilliant stuff cos if I can’t blog, at least I can read.
Paige


(*) I realise that in the grand scheme of things, there are a lot bigger problems that this minor irritation.

6 Comments:

Blogger JL Pagano said...

Blog Life Coaching...Paige, I think you are onto something there - maybe we can set up Harrison & Pagano, Inc., we'd clean up!

5:16 p.m., March 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paige, I know what you're talking about. In fact I just nicked your idea of posting about Blogger's block because I'm going through the same thing. :D

1:20 p.m., March 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get blogger's block, creative writing block and journo blog. It's a nightmare - but it always passes. Why don't you take a spin around the web and go piggybacking. Find a site or a blog you never visit and link to other sites or blogs you've never been to.

Something you encounter on your travels may clear the cobwebs. And never feel intimidated by not knowing enough about a topic - that's what t'internet's there for!

1:25 p.m., March 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'journo block' even. I have the word 'blog' on the brain obviously.

Maybe a trip to the blog awards to natter with other writers might also help?

1:26 p.m., March 07, 2006  
Blogger Simon said...

funny i actually read journo blog as journo block. power of suggestion ehh

4:02 a.m., March 11, 2006  
Blogger Paul O'Mahony (Cork) said...

I bet most good writers know what it's like to look at a blank page and look at a blank page...

You are a terrible teaser: you write about being blocked, and, as you write about it, you pour out a flow of inspiring fragments.

I have no sympathy for you.

The longer you suffer from blogger's block, the greater the probability that you'll become a high priestess.

12:00 a.m., March 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home