Monday, February 13, 2006

Res Bloggia

I’ve always liked knowing what is topical, fashionable and “in” – be it clothes, music, movies, types of men, etc. I have a compulsive need to pigeon hole, categorise and define. Certainty is most important with me. I realise that as I peruse Blog O’Sphere, this tendency resurfaces time and again. I like looking for connections even if they haven’t been made by individual bloggers.

Now I’m not claiming to be Simon Delaney mapping out mythical chain reactions but it is interesting to observe how what one blogger writes seems to influence others. It is clear that some bloggers are reactionary ; others proactive. Some push the boundaries in terms of subject matter, layout and style ; Others consistently seek to bring posts back to a few “safe” arguments or never stray from their post style or content.

Some bloggers have even established a “corporate” style around their posts. They speak to their audience rather than to themselves. They explain in a benign, parental manner stuff that’s far too complex for a simple lass like me to comprehend without notes. These individuals most probably post from the confines of their work office cubicle. They have probably got a HR policy document on blogging and seek to protect the good name of their employer. Despite their need for personal creativity, it seems that they can’t shake off the shackles of big organisation group think.

Some of the best bloggers (interesting and productive) seem to hit speed bumps and suddenly stop blogging. Those of us who avidly read their work are left like junkies frantically waiting for the next fix.

The more mature blogger, realises that there are stages of blogger evolution and with a wry smile (how do you do “wry” with those smilies? :-} ? :-]) can spot a naïve blogger in a single post. These individuals tend to wear a gentle “been there, blogged that” air, much in the same way as a bachelor uncle wears a dodgy Christmas gift cardigan so as not to offend his nieces.

According to my StatCounter buddy (the pie chart that keeps me sane), one blogger makes regular trips to my blog. Like all the best bloggers, they leave thoughtful, encouraging comments. So encouraging, in fact, that I’m immediately drawn to their blog to seek more wisdom. What I find is an incoherent babble – You know who you are! – and I regret to say, I can never find anything wise or incoherent to say in return.

I’ve notice that some bloggers blog for themselves. The public is just a backdrop that keeps them sharp or grounded. They tolerate my comments with polite disinterest.

Humour tends to be a precarious thing and does not travel well through the ether. Like e-mail, the emphasis gets lost and the gentle good-humoured jibe is often taken up as a gross personal slight.

In short, it’s the variety of bloggers and reasons for blogging which makes Blog O’Sphere such a fascinating place to visit. I’ve been here about 6 months now and I love everything about it. If only those bloggers with a tendency to exaggerate would just sod off!

6 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

Interesting post.

I wonder where I fit in although I have a few ideas. :-)

1:12 p.m., February 13, 2006  
Blogger KnackeredKaz said...

Oh God is it me? The one who visits but who's blog is full of incoherent babble? IS IT?!

Oh the paranoia! I DO visit your blog most days, and sometimes comment. Oh Jesus it's me isn't it? ISN'T IT?!

For the love of God Paige put me out of my misery!

10:10 p.m., February 13, 2006  
Blogger Fence said...

Well my style is very much all over the shop. And quite incoherent. Okay, very incoherent.

But I like making my readers work for understanding, only to reveal that there was nothing to understand in the first place. Mwahaha ;)

9:13 a.m., February 14, 2006  
Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

Relax Kaz. You are not the incoherent babbler! Sorry to precipitate such paranoia!!

Rinceoir, what can I say other than :-}

9:16 a.m., February 14, 2006  
Blogger JL Pagano said...

LOL @ Kaz join the club we're ALL paranoid now.

2:33 p.m., February 14, 2006  
Blogger Paul O'Mahony (Cork) said...

Come on name names. You used to be such a nice considerate person, so even handed in your comments. Now you are dripping in caustic acid.
What's so wrong with exaggerating? Miles na Gollapeen did it all the time. So did Brian Merryman. And they were ace bloggers.
Do you really mean that all the best bloggers burn out?

11:15 p.m., February 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home