Monday, November 21, 2005

You look wonderful tonight

You look wonderful tonight

So far, I’ve managed to navigate my twenties without having to give too much thought to Eric Clapton. Today, for some strange reason - is it Eric Clapton day by any chance? – I’ve been assaulted by three blasts of “Wonderful Tonight” on my radio.

Someone please tell me that this is an ironic take on a love song. I can’t believe that anyone can make such a dull, morose song and claim it as a statement of affection. Everything about it, his throaty groan, the mangled guitar and funereal timing scream depression.

Taking the song literally, this lazy eff-er is lounging on the bed watching his missus get ready for a night out. He’s thinking that she looks wonderful tonight. She’s thinking, don’t catch his eye cos it will only encourage him. He’s all horny and he’ll only end up getting her best frock ruined. They go to a party. He gets smashed out of his head despite clearly being the designated driver. She has to drive him home. (She was probably wise to the fact, which is why she didn't drink through the party). He's so pissed she has to help him to bed. And to cap it off, he tells her she looks wonderful whilst being too blind drunk to distinguish her from the duvet! Message to all drunk men everywhere, no woman ever takes any comfort from a pisshead telling her how well she looks.

I understand it that my parents and their generation think that this is the pinnacle of music brilliance. Agghh!! I’ll never understand them.
Paige

2 Comments:

Blogger JL Pagano said...

Wow - maybe you need to listen to the Black Eyed Peas song "Where's The Love"??? ;-)

4:20 p.m., November 21, 2005  
Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

Maybe so - at least the Black Eyed Peas's song bounces along.

I've no problem with songs addressing depressing subjects. I just don't like depressing songs masquerading as love songs.

Suppose I'm spoilt with Johnny Marr's jingly counterpoint to Morrissey's sad songs.

4:58 p.m., November 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home