Thursday, January 26, 2006

Lets Hear it for the Family

If all that it takes for evil & prejudice to thrive is for tolerant people to do nothing, perhaps it's time for those of us not directly affected to do something.

I've a stock question that I ask of canvassing politicians who come to my door imploring me to give them my number one preference. I ask "What are you going to do about queues in A&E?" Most eagar would-be electees give me some guff about putting more money into the health service and adding a rider that it will be directed towards front line staff not administrators. I thank them for their considered opinion and they depart convinced that they have my vote.

At the last election, the person who told me that the problems of the health service were complex, required taking on vested interests (consultants, nurse unions, etc) and that an enterprise spending €10 billion per annum of my money should have its far share of admininstration staff, got my vote. You see, if I want someone to make decisions on my behalf, I want them to be informed and courageous.

I'm thinking of changing my question to "Where do you stand on family issues and this whole gay marriage lark" whilst projecting an image of a happy, content and conventional marriage. Anyone who defends the right of all peoples to be equally treated and argues that marriage isn't just for heterosexuals like me will probably get my vote. If he/she goes as far as quoting the ideals of a republic for all peoples, his/her running mate will get my number 2 regardless of their party's economic policies.

I don't know the issues well enough. I've been remiss in not reading this subject. But I intend to start. Check out Fiona and London Denizen and start asking questions.
Paige.

5 Comments:

Blogger Fiona de Londras said...

You're right - we need to make this a major issue in the next election and it's so great to see someone saying this isn't just a queer issue. It's about equality, and that affects all of us

10:10 a.m., January 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though I'm 100% straight, I think that you've hit the nail on the head.

It's time to "Reclaim the Republic" for all peoples regardless of creed, colour and sexual orientation.

I'm sure that at least one of the men that fought in the GPO were gay.

10:16 a.m., January 26, 2006  
Blogger Paige A Harrison said...

You could be right Anonymous. Although I have to say I doubt if anyone's sexuality is 100% either way. ;-)

11:27 a.m., January 26, 2006  
Blogger Fiona de Londras said...

Some of the women involved might even have been gay anonymous....

And Paige - dear me, opening up a can of worms??
;)

6:24 a.m., January 27, 2006  
Blogger Paul O'Mahony (Cork) said...

What a great argument! I love your style, especially you cut to the point without any extraneous distractions.

As a Dubliner, are you surrounded by politicians who are mainly 'enlighted' 'tolerant' and not an embarassment?

Does the Pale exist? Are all the intolerants outside it?

I've been away so long that i don't trust my old views: I would never have voted for Fianna Fail under any circumstances. But I can't going on thinking that without questioning it, can I?

2:05 p.m., January 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home